BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, October 29, 2007

The Waiting (With apologies to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)

1. It's in the works -- hush hush they say -- a Nike commercial featuring LeBron James and Maria Sharapova.
2. The new Yankee Stadium -- I'm sure they'll be raising ticket prices. But I'll be there when it opens, bubba!
3. If the Texas Rangers paid Alex Rodriguez $252 million my guess is the Yankees will break the bank when they attempt to re-sign him.
4. So it comes down to Don Mattingly and Joe Girardi. As much as I like Donnie Baseball, I wonder if the Yanks' need a kick in the pants with Girardi. The problem is, he played with a few of these guys. Will they respect him? A few were called up from Triple A in '95 to play in Donnie's last year, but that doesn't count. He was -- along with Dave Winfield -- the team icon during the 80's.
5. Do the Chicago Bulls finally trade for Kobe Bryant. It's a tantalizing offer, but the Lakers are asking for too much. But think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment