BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

My Last Word on the UP Coaching Issue

Joe Lipa was finally banned from entering the UP Gym yesterday, November 21. He actually received a letter this time.

I have nothing against Dean Callanta (who I sat beside with today during lunch; we had a very interesting discussion on hoops as he also shared his experiences in the PBA), Ronnie Magsanoc, or any other prospective coach.

I thought that what was done to Joe was totally unfair. If he really had to be replaced, it should have been done in a more tasteful manner.

Everyone seems to be confused -- even the prospective coaches -- about the situation. In that respect, the College of Human Kinetics erred. They didn't act at all with regard for others and they sure didn't act decisively.

I heard that Ronnie has taken himself out of the running. Some said that this early, pinapakialaman na siya. Other sources say, that he didn't want to enter in this kind of mess.

Some now even say that Joey Guanio has thrown his name in the hat. Whether true or not, some even said that the other team sponsors will not support him. To borrow Ron Simmons catchphrase, "Damn!"

Look whoever it is. Support that coach. Be patient and be very supportive. And most of all, be respectful. This is after all a school "event" or function. Or whatever the hell you want to call it. Watch out what you're teaching the kids and the students.

I'm out of this issue like a light.

No comments:

Post a Comment