BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Born to Run: One minute with the new track queen Allyson Felix

Sometimes it all starts with a taunt. You know, the kind of teasing that motivates you. Allyson Felix heard it all. "Chicken legs," they laughed at her scrawny 5'6" frame.

But her lithe 125-pound body can dead-lift 360 pounds and power clean another 150. Tiny dynamite Allyson is because she has won four golds and a silver in track competition.

Why do you run?
Allyson: I run to challenge myself and to push my body to do things I didn't think I could do. I also run to stay active and be healthy.

How often do you run?
Alyson: I run for five days a week. I do sprints and long runs.

Where do you usually run or train?
Allyson: If I'm running for fun then I run along the beach in Santa Monica.

What do you usually have in mind when you go running?
Allyson: While training, I already set my goals including what I want to accomplish. I think about all the work I have to put in and how to go about them. It's all about focus. And when I get through all that hard work that once seemed impossible to accomplish it leaves me with such a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment