BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ateneo Team B

It's been awhile since I watched a Team B game. Even a practice one and yesterday, I got an invite from Jobe Nkemakolam to watch one at Moro Lorenzo where they faced the Ateneo De Naga Golden Knights.

I took some pictures of the bench of both teams and it would interesting to take a look at the backs of the jerseys our our brother school from the south.

The picture with Frank Golla shows him and his teammates discussing their play sets. I thought it was pretty interesting to see how the players were so int the game that they were discussing their roles, options, and opportunities available to them. When Ron Jacobs was coach of San Miguel, instead of running practice, he had his players study the rule book. Before they worked on their game, it was important for all of them to understand the rules of the game. He would even hold classroom sessions where he would ask his players to draw on a blackboard their set plays.

I've always been told by my teachers in school that it was a sign of intelligence to ask questions because there was a desire to know more if not challenge what was established.

I enjoyed watching Team B because they reminded me of the boys back in 2004-05 playing unselfish, high-octane, and angas basketball. The latter may be owing to the fact that these boys have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Who's playing well? Eman Monfort, Paolo Dizon (this guy is amazing), Vince Fran, Jobe, Frank Golla, Gian Lucas... damn pretty much the whole team. If you're all looking for Clark Bautista, well, he's flown the coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment