BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Truth to tell, I didn't want to get up from bed today.

I had fallen severely ill in the early morning of last Friday and it steadily got worse as the day wore on. I was at San Beda College that day giving a seminar to NCR schools and only lasted the morning before they rushed me to the school clinic. I slept the afternoon away and that was the last bit of sleep I got until last night.

My illness kept me weak and unwilling to eat. A lingering knee injury made things worse as I aggravated it around the same time. When it pours... it sure does pour. I couldn't watch TV nor read. I couldn't even write during that weekend when Typhoon Frank slammed the country in another telling warning about climate change. It forced me to miss a column for the first time.

I began to get better by Monday but it still left me weak and sleepless. I could only eat fruits and soup but that's fine. I have since in fact preferred that and vegetables so I guess it's all good right? Maybe it's really high time I paid more attention to my health.

Unable to grab any shut eye (no exag), I decided to watched my two seasons of Friday Night Lights. I recently purchased the two Region I box sets and tremendously enjoyed both of them. I've written briefly about the TV series, the book, and the film in this blog as it has made a life-long fan out of me. Between the two, I liked the first season more because it had a bigger football slant than the second that was threatening to blow open into something from like the OC or some such just to keep the female audience interested. But I love it for its uniqueness and as Bill Simmons put it, "the best sports-themed show on TV ever."

So it was a marathon 37-episode session that turned my brain into mush and send me into La La Land.

And so I woke up to the news that the Deputy Sheriff's badges given to Shaquille O'Neal are being rescinded owing to his uncalled (and racist) remarks towards Kobe Bryant. Man, fall asleep to a great show. Wake up to great news.

I'm now feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment