BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Dream Lives

Before the Dream Team's first game in the Tournament of the Americas in the spring of 1992, Michael Jordan gathered the 12 Beatles inside the locker room and along with their coaches, they all prayed "Our Father." After they finished off the job in Barcelona, they said the same prayer inside their locker room.

Chuck Daly may remember that great summer vividly but that one moment aside from the gold medal ceremony stands out.

While listening to Larry Bird on The Dan Patrick Radio Show talk about that 1992 Olympic team, all I can say is that those guys were more than basketball players. They were ambassadors for the sport and rock stars. Aside from the NBA, that team revolutionized and popularized the game as we know it.

That team would have been truly complete had they included Isiah Thomas and/or Dominique Wilkins instead of Christian Laetnner.

I still have my souvenir Tournament of the Americas shirt although I don't think I'll be wearing it anywhere except home and for me, it's a priceless souvenir of that team. I also have the Official Dream Team book as given by Chuck Daly to Lenny Wilkens (and it's autographed too). Here are the pix of that book and how I got that copy is another story. I also have that issue of Sports Illustrated that featured Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Magic Johnson, and Jordan on the cover and it remains in plastic although its somewhat worn out from so many people borrowing it (note: I ain't lending it again).

On another note, some have pointed out how the Redeem Team is loved and cheered in Beijing as compared to Athens four years ago. But are you surprised? The Greeks have never been known for hospitality.

NBA Commish has been batting for an NBA China and now he's set his sight on India too. Good luck, Commish and good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment