BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Look, ma. We didn't have to wait 14 years for another one.

When Ateneo won its first UAAP title in 1987, I purchased the championship shirt at the high school covered courts. The design was simple, a shot of the team during the singing of the alma mater. I wish I saved it but that's kinda impossible since that was 21 years ago.

I always wanted to do another championship shirt like that and well, good things come to those who wait. Here's the design and we'll be selling an initial batch of championship shirts tomorrow at the bonfire. Just look for me there. The design is on a gray shirt.

Our championship shirt available in all sizes.
Php 350 bucks.
Ze photo by Aly Yap.

Someone already asked me of our chances for next year's title and I said, "Hopefully."

The one thing people have to understand about Ateneo's basketball program is, WE ARE NOT BUILT TO WIN EVERY SINGLE YEAR; no matter how strong the team is. There are two points for the program:
1. to be competitive and contend for a Final Four slot,
2. to make sure these student-athletes graduate and get an education.
If we happen to win a title or two along the way, then that's the gravy there.

So if you ask me, we've been pretty much successful. There's more but you'll have to ask me when you see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment