BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, October 24, 2008

The mag. The man.


Sports Illustrated is still my favorite sports mag by far -- even if their polls about Sportsman of the Year -- still suck. ESPN the Magazine started out like its cable parent, but content-wise, I thought that it paled by comparison. Then they started getting guys like Scoop Jackson and Rick Reilly. While that has made them a better magazine, SI still has more heart and when it comes to writing, the better ones. SLAM? Well, they've gotten better over the years but it's nothing much except slick layouts and props to everyone even to punks like Allen Iverson.

So here's the latest issue. And it's got Kobe on the cover too!

No comments:

Post a Comment