BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reel time and TV bloopers

When I was with Solar Sports, I thought that I'd get an opportunity to do some stuff for the channel on television. And I did.

You could say it was like getting bit by a bug.

During the second Pacquiao-Morales fight, I was at Mega Mall where most of our VIP guests were at. Our crew from Solar arrived and had no one to handle the interviews. Our crew folks said, "Sir, kayo na lang." But I was hesitant. You know naman how some people are so sensitive about getting their toes stepped on. I remember the late Commissioner Jun Bernardino who had become a confidant and mentor at that time pushing me to get that mike and do it. "Do it, pare. You might get discovered."

My cousin used to moonlight as a DJ at the old KISS-FM and one night, he gave me an op to spin stuff on the radio while he sat in the lounge with his girlfriend and that was so fun. I remembered that so I said, "Hell, yeah." I also once guested on John Lesaca's late night show on TV -- twice. Hahahaha. The first I was so nervous. The second was better. While in the US, I also applied for The Apprentice (one of my favorite shows). I was candidate #several thousand so nothing happened. I never went back. Hahahaha. But just going there and filling out forms was fun. Man, I can't believe the sheer number of people who want to get fired by Donald Trump!

I laughed then went on cam to interview more than a dozen celebrities and showbiz personalities. Soon after that, I helped produce a show that we shot at Power Books in Greenbelt, write and co-produce a two-hour boxing special titled Glory Road, write the script for a couple of sports in review specials. And there were the odd plugs or two.

Having come from the advertising industry, it only reminded me that I missed doing stuff like that. My first ever radio commercial was for Macintosh and I was a voice talent with Lito Pagayon. Then I also did a few cameo appearances in commercials for PLDT, Philippine Airlines, Mazda and a few others (including one for an instant noodles commercial). When you see me next time ask me about it. If I have my laptop with me I'll show it to you. Hahahaha.

When Studio 23 asked me to do the pre and post-game analysis for the past UAAP Basketball Finals, I said yes. Honestly, I got nervous because I do it so infrequently that it doesn't come as naturally. I guess it showed.

During Freshman Night in college, I was one of the five emcees for the night and during one spiel on stage -- in the midst of a joke -- I completely forgot the punchline! Bwahahaha. Of course my batchmates rained boos on me. Minutes later, I remembered what I had to say and rushed back up to deliver the punchline and everyone kept laughing. Kasi naman weird di ba?

I did the men's football finals with former UP Maroon Kale Alvarez today -- the women's and men's Game 1. Again, I got nervous on cam. Bwahahaha. I stayed up working on notes some of which got lost so sayang. During the pre-prod, I said, "This is cool. I get to be Boom Gonzales." Thanks for all the tips, Boom, but I'm still a long ways off from being as good as ya, buddy.

But the last few days, I had long talks and chats with FEU's Adolfo Alicante (sabagay coach lagi naman tayo naguusap), UST's BJ Valenzuela, DLSU's Hans Smit (who I considered a good friend), and UP's Frank Muescan who I truly appreciate for his honesty. It was fun talking about lots of stuff! Coach Hans -- grabe. We'v e had long long conversations over the years and I never get tired of it. My second favorite team outside the Ateneo Women's Team is DLSU's. Coach knows that. Bwahahaha. Why not? They're fun to watch.

Both me and Kale went into the day thinking... UEFA, EPL, La Liga... except we don't have an English accent. And as cool as we tried to be... hindi pala ganun dapat. Sila Direk Al and Abet (who I am indebted sobra) said we shouldn't think that way kasi iba naman audience natin. Point taken. We'll do better. Hahahaha.

Bea had a grand time laughing at me. Well, B, I had a fun laughing at myself too. Lalo na that opening spiel for the second match... take seven!

Thanks to my media friends for dropping by to show support... Ms. Cecille from Sports Radio, TJ Jurado, Cedelf Tupas, and Reuben Terrado. Wala kasi naman sina Chris Soler and Mike Abasolo. Vanna Lim... stop laughing! I saw you. Kasi naman hilarious kanina. Kale, sorry, dude. Syempre cut yun. Puro bloopers. I was trying not to get tongue tied. Yan kasi... too much information and dapat relax. Bwahahahaha. Buti na lang wala si Lia Cruz kung di kukulitin ako.

Will do better sa Game 2. Hahahaha. Game 2 for the Women's and Men's Finals is Tuesday. 10am for Women's and 2pm for Men's. I'll include my thoughts on the two matches today later tonight. I gotta bathe coz I smell of the sun. Thanks to Tito Poch Borromeo for the ride!

Hey, Anna Frumenti... bawi na lang.

So I was asked if I wanted to do this regularly. Yeah... why not. I've always wanted to do what Christiane Amanpour and Kevin Sites does. That is way cool. I know it's dangerous but what in the blue hell... you only live once.

No comments:

Post a Comment