BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

New York Diary: Summer Day at the Park


(This is an old entry from my New York Diary that is an excerpt from its collected volume that I am selling to friends in very limited quantities this Christmas).

Dear Mom & Dad:

Today was hot and humid. I poured the contents of my mineral water bottle onto my hands and splashed the cool water onto my face, hair, then took in a last swig before I tossed the empty pep bottle into the nearby trash bin. That refreshed me even if only for a few minutes.

I took the day off from work. I had made plenty a penny over the past month. As usual, I divvied the bills into the envelopes that I’ve labeled: “savings,” “rent,” “daily expenses,” “money to be sent home,” and “miscellaneous.”

As much as possible I exchange my well-worn greenbacks for crisp new bills. I reasoned that having new bills makes it harder for me to dip into my savings to splurge. I have to be very conscious of my expenses. After all, I’m saving up to buy a house.

Like Awee’s house in Jersey City that I thought that it was simply elegant. I’d love to have one like that. And in a nice neighborhood too. But I love Uncle Vinnie’s house up in Mercer. Now that is real living. Straight out American Home.

My envelope marked “miscellaneous” is where I get money to buy my “luho” – compact discs, dvds, books, comic books, and sports gear. It’s also where I dip into if I want to go out of town and travel.

Obviously one job isn’t enough so I’ve taken on some part time work for a few hours. And it’s not bad. I sometimes work as a coat checker at the Trump Tower where I make anywhere from a hundred bucks to a hunnert plus fifty a night. It’s indoors where there’s airconditioning. It sure beats running pizza delivery around Midtown Manhattan. That’s not bad actually but I feel that my Bangladeshi workmates always try to put one over me and work the best beats for the best tips. But sometimes, it has its perks.

One time I brought over some pizza to this ritzy condo unit just around the corner of East 49th and Fifth and the people inside were playing strip poker! And they were in the middle of it. They knew I could see them. I guess its part of the tease. There is a God! Bwahahaha.

Like I said, I have to do extra work if I want all this stuff and to go places. I make good money with the extra work so I could afford to take an extra day off and just be out in the city such as today. After a damned winter, this is a most welcome summer.

They just released this new gadget called an ipod and it costs a lot but it’s not bad because it saves me the trouble of carrying my discman around. I went through my second discman in the span of six months. Not that I’m clumsy but I broke one when I slipped on the ice last winter.

I spent the morning at the museum and lunch with my friends Sam and Suborna – that pretty pretty Indian chick I was telling you about -- at Taco Bell. Well, we had to take Suborna out because she was depressed that her boyfriend left her for someone else. She is positively crushed and I thought I’d cheer her up. I know Sam likes her so I asked him to come along after all, three’s company during times like these.

Suborna or Sue for short is lovely with deep brown eyes that melt you away. She could compete for Ms. Universe if she wishes. Except that she likes sappy loves songs. Her saving grace though is she loves acid jazz. She’s hung up on a jerk so it’s our duty to clear her mind.

We’re watching the Nets later. We got tickets and have good seats. We’re using my flat mate Cruiser’s brand new SUV. He bought his car using literally hard earned cash. Money he saved in cans of Pringles. From tips from his extra work and in wrinkled bills and new ones! The dealer thought it was hilarious too as he brought out several cans of cash in various denominations and where it took a while to count and recount before the sale was consummated.

You remember Cruiser, right? He’s the only Filipino in my barkada here. Works at a bank then pumps gas at night for extra dough. And we both root for the Yankees so it’s always fun for us to watch games together whether at home or at the Stadium. Most of my friends here aren’t baseball or hockey fans. They like basketball and football which is cool, of course. It’s not bad because I sometimes welcome the solitude especially when I go to Long Island to watch hockey coz I’m the only Islanders fan they know. Bwahahaha.

Anyways, there’s five of us and it should be fun. I hope the Nets win but they look so woefully thin against the deep and talented San Antonio Spurs. If it weren’t for Jason Kidd this crew wouldn’t even find their way out of the turnpike. But if the Nets’ starting five holds up then they’ve got a chance. The only player I like on the Spurs is their whirling dervish or a swingman Manu Ginobili. I know you like Kobe Bryant’s game; dad and Manu can be like that too. Hard to root for the Wets though coz I’m too much of an Eastern guy. The drive from Manhattan isn’t that far. We’ll make it in an hour as long as we beat the rush hour traffic. Making it early means that we have a chance to check out Giants stuff.

While at Central Park, I showed Sam and Sue my hideaway at the Terrace. I know that it’s one of the most photographed and filmed places at the Park but I just love it here. I go here to read a book, write, listen to my music, and watch people about to get married and be photographed, and scope these musicians and performers. I haven’t written any poetry since college? But when I go here I’m compelled to do so. I wrote one the other week – a paean to the loveless. I’m too much of a hopeless romantic. Bwahaha. I can hear the melody of Lennon-McCartney in my head.

We had hotdogs and as much as I love them I still cannot stand the Sauer kraut. I swear! And I do better kebabs than this.

I know that you can’t get the music of today but I’m sending you a mp3 of a song I love to death. It’s Ivy’s “Point of View.” It’s kinda weird especially for a place like Central Park in the summer but it’s like our soundtrack for today with our rescue mission for Sue. I caught the band Ivy at the Village a few months back and it shook me to my very core. To be up close and personal with one of my all-time fave bands is a highlight in my life here. I hope you listen to the mp3… it has me swirling like an old 45 vinyl single.

Sure is hot. Whew! You know naman how I am so fussy about being clean all the time. Bwahahaha.

This is the part where I feel like I’m Huck Finn – kicking my shoes off and sitting down on the grass and watching the world go by. I’ve got my friends here but there are times I like being alone. I like to think, think, and dream. Don’t you just love this place? It’s so beautiful.

Oh, I forgot. The other day there were these two gay people caught by television cams banging each other on top of one of the trees in the park! Can you believe that! They wouldn’t go down and the cops and firemen had to bring them down. Lots of weirdos here too. Bwahahaha. They should have gotten a room. I know it’s hot now that it’s summer but this is ridiculous.

Thanks by the way for sending that Rivermaya CD and pictures of the family. You don’t have to send me any foodstuffs because you can pretty much get anything you want here. Tell Rob, I bought him a Playboy magazine with WWE Divas in it. Hahahaha. It’s not a joke, mom so don’t toss that out.

We stayed for more than an hour here chatting. Talking about life, lost loves, and whether Jennifer Aniston is hot (I think she is). Bwahaha. The fountain of the Angels of the Waters lent a nice splash to us in this heat. Gotta go.

Next time I’ll stay longer – I usually do that when I’m alone. But we gotta wash up and prep for the road trip to Jersey. We’re off to the game, folks.

Will write again. Hope all is well in your side of the world.

Love,
Rick


My notes today:
I worked two jobs in a single day then. Got a day job at midtown in marketing company then alternated as a coat checker or a staff member at Virgin Records in Times Square. After a bit, I dropped the latter two and went back to working in a restaurant on weekends. That kept me grounded and humble so that no matter how good I thought I was at my day job.

As for Jennifer Aniston being hot, it’s a long and running joke/question I ask when I interview applicants. Even up today. It’s the clincher question. Just ask my student assistants. Hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment