BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

My photos of the Viloria-Tamara fight. (Pics by Rick)

"Brian, look at me!" yelled trainer Roberto Garcia right before the 12th and fateful round. "I need you to move. Are you hearing me?" Before the start of the 10th round, I situated myself right beside the corner of Viloria and could hear all the exchanges between him and his side. By the 11th, I figured he was gone. I have a whole set of pictures that show his eyes were gone. That's what gave him away. As Brian got pummeled some more, Garcia was banging his palms on the canvas, "No! No! No! Move, Brian. Please!" It was heart-rending. The television broadcast did not do justice to the fight or its ambiance. I've been witness to a lot of heart-breaking defeats but this one was right on top with the worst of them.

The last shot at glory. Brian's left jab nearly dislocates Carlos Tamara's jaw. This was from the 8th round. This was the second time I've been right at ringside. The first time, I was in Nonito Donaire's corner and this time, I was with all the media photogs crouched at the side. It hurt my knees bad and I felt all wobbly after. But the disheartening loss made me feel worse. You'll have to forgive me with the camera. It's the first time I'm trying to shoot fulltime. But it's impossible to write and take photos at the same time. Impossible. I also have on sequence the spectacular knockout by Dodie Boy Penalosa Jr. of Anthony Balubar. I was fiddling around with the set up and the shot's exposure was terrible. But it's still revealing. Will post it soon. Business Mirror used this photo for my accompanying piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment