BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Stuff

Back home after a quick jaunt to the Lion City. And I'm jumping immediately back into work. Mercifully, the early symptoms of a relapse quickly dissipated. I'd chalk that up to Chinese medicine. Someone gave me this old Chinese stuff take and looks like it worked. Will look it up here. Now, if I can only remember its name.

Will be back in Singapore for the F1 in September. Am going to jump the gun here. What did I get? There's the Tokyo Police Club, Broken Social Scene's Forgiveness Rock Record (check out my entry about the band here), Kula Shaker's Pilgrim's Process, and Snow Patrol's Up to Now (with the DVD). A book (Foul! by Andrew Jennings). Wanted to get the Cholly and Flytrap hardcover from Radical Comics but no more dinero. Next time. Wish I stayed longer but work calls.

Had a nice long chat with a former local cop who now works with the United Nations based in the Congo. He was with his wife and son who was studying in Singapore (through a UN grant). So many interesting stuff about the continent. Ironically, as someone who helps implement programs for the poor. Now this guy has my total respect. Well educated guy for a local cop. I guess his experiences really opened up his mind. Have a safe flight from Manila back to Africa.

Will be catching the UAAP games today while finishing other stuff. Then there's Halikinu Radio tonight. And my many other deliverables. Check you guys later.


No comments:

Post a Comment