BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thursday in Bangkok


Bangkok. Thursday. Finished my work once more pretty early. Skipped the pre-match presscon since I was able to talk or get some earlier quotes. They don't really tell you anything substantial anyways. Emailed my work then went out to the city. Wasn't able to do much at MBK (Mahboonkrong) the previous day so I went back. Gotta love an eight-story complex of over 2,000 shops selling different kinds of goods. Always love going here.


There was a time when the knockoffs at this mall were top class but this time around, they look and feel nothing like the real thing. The football shirts made use of poor material. Like poor grade dry fit. If one is a football fan who regularly buys kits, you'd know that sports apparel companies have shifted to lighter and more smooth material that doesn't smell. The printing of the names of the players, clubs, and sponsors is poor. I can tell it's a knockoff a mile away. One shop owner told me that there was higher grade material and that cost about 450 baht. Yup, just checking though.


What caught my eye were the Star Wars-themed shirts. There were about at least half a dozen designs that I saw. The pic above is just one of them. Here in Bangkok, save for the department store like anywhere else, you have to haggle for a lower price and not just pay for them. Remember, even if you ask for a lower price and they agree to it, they know they still make a tidy profit. So push for lower prices and try to get away with it. If not, they usually aren't the only shop selling that kind of shirt. 


Oops. I did it again! With a wax statue of Britney Spears at the Siam Discovery center in Bangkok. Below me checking out Sarah Oleksyk's Ivy at Kinokuniya at Siam Paragon (the best Kinokuniya is in Singapore's Nge An City). Ivy is an indie comic book that she both wrote and drew that is your coming of age story. Kinda like Juno, the film. I swear I could spend a whole afternoon here (and in Asia Books) and not get bored. Wish I had more money though. Hopefully, one day, I'll own a bookstore, a cool one that people would go to.


No comments:

Post a Comment