BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Former Ateneo ace pitcher Miguel Salud helps Cal Lutheran to US NCAA Div 3 championship



Former Ateneo ace pitcher Miguel Salud helps Cal Lutheran to US NCAA Div 3 championship
by rick olivares

Former Ateneo baseball pitcher Miguel Salud, who after leading the Blue Eagles to its first UAAP baseball championship in 2013 left to study and play for Cal Lutheran University in the United States, has once more turned the trick.

The 22-year old pitcher, coming in the seventh inning of Game Three of the NCAA Division 3 Baseball Championship against Washington and Jefferson College of Pennsylvania, protected a 3-2 lead and shut down the Presidents for a 7-2 win and the school’s first ever baseball title at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute, Wisconsin.

The CLU Kingsmen won Game One, 12-2, but the W&J Presidents came back with a 12-4 victory of their own to forge a Game Three. With the series at sudden death, Slimak called on freshman pitcher Scott Roberts to pitch on two day’s rest. Said Slimak, “Roberts was our guy but we’re gonna go to Miggy (Salud) late, more early. And it all worked out.”

Salud also earned his 14th save of the season to set a school record and was named Most Outstanding Player after he posted a 1.23 ERA (earned run average) with three saves, nine strikeouts and just one earned run in four appearances and 7.1 innings.

Said Salud of pitching in Game 3, “It was huge that I was able to rest (in Game 2 despite the loss) but it was a minor setback for a major comeback.”

Of his impact with CLU, Salud said, "From the beginning, I didn't think I was going to be the closer; the first guy out of the pen. When I was asked to be a closer, I just stuck to my approach and picked my spots. Every time I come out, all I can see is my catcher. I just said, never let anyone get on base and don't rattle myself."



No comments:

Post a Comment