BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Metta World Peace’s encourages Fil-Am son to play for the Philippines



Metta World Peace’s encourages Fil-Am son to play for the Philippines
by rick olivares

Former NBA star Metta World Peace (aka Ron Artest) is in town for 24 hours to promote his “The Panda’s Friend” brand (of shoes and clothing). The name also appears on the back of his jersey for the Sichuan Blue Whales in the Chinese Basketball Association.

World Peace though talked to us in a one-on-one interview at Café Luna at Bonifacio High Street, Taguig, and he made no bones about his son eventually donning a Philippine national jersey one day.

“Jeron may play for the Philippine national team one day,” bared World Peace. “He is very excited and very motivated by this possibility. I myself am excited.”

The young Artest’s mother, Jennifer Palma, is of Filipino heritage although born in the United States. “I got to play for the US Under-18 national team but it was my dream to play for the senior team and possibly the Olympics,” related World Peace. “I am sure it is the dream of every basketball-playing kid to represent his country in the Olympics. Sadly, though, I was never invited to even try out because they do not want a player like me on the team. If my son gets that chance, I will be a happy man!”

Despite his personal rejection, World Peace wants his son to consider playing for either the US or Philippine national team. “He’s gotta earn it though,” said the father. “Whether he plays in the US or in the Philippines, he has to earn it. There are lots of kids playing the game.”

Offering more about his son’s game, World Peace bared, “Jeron is a right-handed player. He’s a defender like me but a much better shooter. He also plays the point guard position and is a passer.”

The son is either going to college at Yale or Stanford. Something that makes the father proud. “My son is very smart. To be considered for an Ivy League school is cool. Now Jeron, he has his own tech company that he started it when he was 13. He is a smart kid. He was an entrepreneur even before me. He does some trading too in the stock market. He also has a book club where he gives back to unfortunate kids. This he started out when he was 12. He is an unbelievable kid. So you know that he will be successful in whatever field he chooses.”

“Right now, I have yet to get in touch with the local federation (Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas) about my son,” said World Peace. “But that’s going to come down. If he comes over here, it will be through his mom, Jenny, who is his driving force.”


“I will say this though -- Jeron wants to go to school and graduate. He wants to accomplish a lot of things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment